Me and my boyfriend in beautiful Hawaii

Friday, February 11, 2011

Compendium of Last Objects & Letter Composed During a Lull in the Fighting

Kevin C. Powers

Nicole Cooley

The felt like the poem Letter Composed During a Lull in the Fighting by Kevin C Powers was a very meaningful poem. While I was reading the poem from start to end, I could feel the meaning that it was trying to communicate. I felt like this poem was about a soldier that was fighting in a war, who wrote a love letter to the one he loved. It seemed as when the one he loved opened the letter, she could smell the burned powder. This poem reacted towards me the most because I felt as if I could relate to it. Like I said above, the poem seems to be about a soldier writing a letter to the one he loved. I didn’t receive a letter from a soldier, but I have in the past went through cards and letters that I   have received from my dad before he passed away and can remember the specific scent on the cards and letters, such as the one he loved could smell the burned powder on the letter. 
The other poem that I reacted to the most was the one called Compendium of Lost Objects by Nicole Cooley. When reading this poem, I felt like it was confusing until I read the end when it said the hurricane hit. Once I read that line, I understood the entire poem. The poem was talking about how everything used to be before the hurricane hit the little town. I felt that the poet went into great detail on describing how everything looked and seemed after the hurricane. I feel that the reason why this poem reacted to me was because it made me think of when I first moved from the little town that I grew up in. It made me feel like everything around me was being destroyed. 
I thought that both of these poems were very meaningful, and that the poets took time and thought into writing them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment